JOB OPPORTUNITY: Production Manager
Saturday, January 11, 2014
Posted by: Linda Hudson
HB Studio/HB Playwrights Foundation
(New York NY)
Position Title: PRODUCTION MANAGER, FULL-TIMEWebsite: http://hbstudio.org
Reports To: Executive & Artistic Director, HB Studio
Supervise, plan and coordinate administrative, budgetary, design, and technical aspects of production projects for two performance spaces: the HB Playwrights Foundation Theatre and HB Studio’s First Floor. In consultation with the Executive & Artistic Director of HB Studio and the artistic leadership of the HB Playwrights Foundation, work to support, translate, and further HB’s evolving program for the creation and presentation of new and rediscovered works. Through these activities support the mission and vision of this theater collective founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned actress and master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over a thousand students per term, and where accomplished emerging and experienced artists are given opportunities to develop their work in collaborative performance projects.
- Manage performance and event calendar for HB Playwrights Foundation theatre and HB Studio first floor space, working with Executive & Artistic Director of HB Studio and artistic leadership of the HB Playwrights Foundation to organize the season schedule in coordination with the Studio’s class calendar.
- Create and oversee production schedule for HBPF and Studio projects and productions, ensuring that all deadlines are met
- Under supervision of HBS Executive & Artistic Director and Finance Coordinator, prepare and manage production budgets for projects to be presented in the HBPF theatre.
- Manage contracts, union relationships and filings.
- Supervise and coordinate with HB Technical Director to organize and facilitate design planning, set construction, rehearsal prep and stage management, load-in, tech, run of show, and strike.
- Supervise and coordinate with Audience & Development Assistant and Graphic Designer to prepare, schedule, and distribute show announcements, posters, postcards, and programs
- Oversee and coordinate with project teams for first floor studio space projects.
- Engage, assign, and coordinate with production designers and consultants.
- With Technical Director, oversee selection, assignment, training, and coordination of interns, and student volunteers
- With Technical Director and in coordination with Facilities Manager and Weekend Maintenance Technician, oversee maintenance and upkeep, according to codes, of performance spaces, production tools and equipment.
- Arrange and coordinate photo documentation of all projects
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Advanced degree in theatre or equivalent theatrical production experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A strong working knowledge and experience of theatrical production procedures and practices
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office and Mac platforms; experience with budgeting and scheduling applications
- Exceptional organizational skills: detail-oriented problem-solver; able to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects at once.
- Able to facilitate communication between multiple parties in a diplomatic, efficient way
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion and diplomacy;
- Able to train and coordinate volunteers and interns.
- Experience working in a union employment environment and familiarity with AEA agreements is preferred.
- Experience working in a nonprofit educational or developmental setting is preferred.
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
- Reports to Executive & Artistic Director of the Herbert Berghof Studio. Supervises and coordinates with HB Technical Director to maintain and develop production facilities and support artistic projects of the HB Studio and HB Playwrights Foundation, and to ensure coherent schedules and practices between the two entities. Must work well with guest artists, staff, students, alumni and faculty while maintaining separation and discretion.
Special Working Conditions:
Hours: Generally 12pm to 8pm, 5 days/week, 40 hours total. Additional weekend, evening, and early morning hours as necessary to fulfill requirements of projects in performance.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com, using the subject line "Production Manager.”